Monday, May 21, 2012

Spiderman Revisited!


So, last time, I mentioned Cris and his rooftop experience. First, you need to know a bit about Cris. He is our second child, oldest boy. For years, he was the middle child. He was a typical middle child...feeling squeezed between 2 siblings, so he was always out to prove himself, from the time he was just a tot.

I tell Cris he is responsible for me being gray haired at such an early age, and it is partly true. When he was 5, my parents came for their first visit to France. The Brussels airport was ever so much cheaper to fly into, so that is where we drove to pick them up. It is roughly a 4 hour drive from where we lived at the time. Don's bro and sis-in-law lived in a duplex with us. Carla said she would watch the kids and we went off reassured that they would be well taken care of.

After a very long day, we finally pulled into our driveway, and there was a collective gasp as we all 4 saw the most horrifying sight at the same time! There, sitting on the roof of the house, was our 5 year old son, with the hugest grin on his face! He waved to us like it was just the most natural thing in the world. We all jumped out saying, "Don't move!" He just grinned bigger and said, "Hi, Mom!'

Now to understand just what a feat this was, I will tell you the house was L shaped and part of it was 2 stories and part of it was single story. In France, there are no window screens, so he had climbed up on a chair, wrestled that window open and jumped from the window (2nd story) to the roof of the living room, which was single story.

My mama and I stood there telling him not to move while his dad and grampa tried to find someone with a ladder we could borrow. Needless to say, they got him down safe. I was startled the next morning when I went to fix my hair! There was a wide, white streak in my hair that wasn't there the day before!

It wasn't too long after that, Don came out of the kitchen and looked up to see Cris, in true Spiderman style, one arm and leg on each hall wall, had climbed to the ceiling. The problem was, he couldn't get back down. He was so proud of himself until he realized he was in a real pickle! Don wanted him to learn a lesson. He stood under him and just waited. Soon his little arms and legs started to shake. Don told him to just let go, but he was afraid to do it. Soon, he HAD to let go and Don caught him. He gave him a stern talking to about consequences...like...what would he have done if Don had not been there to catch him!

He was a very inventive little boy, and was always coming to tell us about something he was going to invent. Truthfully, he amazed us sometimes with the bright ideas he came up with. Lyndee, being the typical big sister, thought it her duty to keep him in his place. He would tell us something he wanted to invent and she would smirk and say, "Uh, Cris...it's already been invented." A heated word battle would then commence, with Lyndee egging him on with her mischievous grin!

Somehow, we all survived those days, though there were times we did wonder if Cris would, with all his exploits! I am now completely gray, and I still tell the kids they did it to me! We all laugh, but I can't help wishing we could go back to those crazy days! Time has moved on and now our oldest grandkids are almost grown. The circle of life...

Have a wonderful day! God bless you one and all!

11 comments:

  1. OMG I am feeling so satisfied that I had all girls even though I wanted a boy, me being the only boy and needing a boy to carry on the Langley name.
    He certainly was a little character and as they say the children see no danger in what they do. Hope your monday is going very well for you and Don.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was one of 2 girls! But have to say, gray hair and all, glad I had both! Love al my boys and girls! They are all fun!

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you are talking about......having had four boys! Only when I stopped dying my hair back in 2006, I was very surprised to find only about 50% grey! Ever since then, I have vowed stress can't possibly bring on grey hair! :) But I guess it depends on the person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One time I went to get a perm, and the beautician looked at me and said, "Oh no! You didn't tell me when you called that you had frosted hair...you have to do a permanent before you dye your hair, not after!" I just laughed and said it was all mine...natural. she told me I would pay a fortune to get it frosted that nicely! So, I guess they did me a favor! lol!!

      Delete
  3. It absolutely amazes me that any boys--& I have had 2--manage to live to adulthood!

    I have stopped dying my hair grey & am letting it revert to its natural blond--& pigs CAN fly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, mine is getting to the white stage, now! But so is Don's! We are a perfect match!

      Delete
  4. Dear Joy, . . . as fishducky says, it's a wonder that boys ever grow to adulthood. I so enjoyed these stories about Cris. He was mischievous, but so endearing.

    Like you, my hair is turning white--age though, not the antics of boys!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was VERY endearing! Still is, as they all 4 are. I am so blessed. 4 kids, 11 grands! God is good!

      Delete
  5. I grew up with just an older sister so if I have boys, I don't know what I'll do when they start pulling things like this! You have every right to blame that boy for grey hair and you might be lucky that you didn't start losing it too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mags you will do fine if you have a boy. No worries girl.
    Cris was such a character! The things he did then used to infuriate me but now they are beyond funny! I will admit to this one. I did torture him and say it had already been invented. I wish I hadn't. He is so talented though I wonder if he still thinks about his inventions. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you not posted since Monday or is my computer being stupid again?

    ReplyDelete