Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I Believe in Miracles

I have told you about our first 3 children and some of the fun things (and not so fun things), so now I think it is time to tell about our number 4...our miracle baby. 
After I had our 3rd baby (4th pregnancy), I was not in very good shape physically.  Four pregnancies in 4 years took their toll on my body.  The OB/GYN I was seeing was a total maniac, but we didn't know how to find another one.  When I went to see him for a check up, he told me to never get pregnant again.  The pill was still illegal here so that left one option...tubal ligation.  When I asked him about it, he grinned an evil grin and told me I was too young...I was only 24, and what if my husband died or we divorced?  I would certainly remarry, and then I would owe my new hubby at least 1 child!  His logic left me a bit frustrated!  He had just told me to never have any more kids, and now he was saying BUT....
So, I asked about Don having surgery.  All smiles, he said that was okay...because he was a man, thus he was choosing if he wanted to not have children (in the event of my death or our divorce).
Now, I am as far from being a women's libber as you can get, because I feel free in the life I have, but that really was a shock to my mind!
Long story short, against my better judgment, that is the direction we went, though I knew in my heart, someday I was going to want more children. 
Several years passed and I was really sad, because I wanted another baby.  The surgery had been a nightmare for Don, so I didn't ever say, "Hey!  How about we reverse your surgery!"  But, I started praying.  I had read articles where the surgeons had goofed, or that the surgery had repaired itself, etc., and I was confident God could work a miracle like that for us!
Eventually, 10 years had passed and we tried adopting for the next 2 years, passing all the different approvals until they found out we lived in France.  We were told to either go back to America for 2 years so we could be "controlled" with an agency there,  or we had to become French citizens so they could control it here.  Neither was a viable option.  I was very discouraged, and then one day, while sorting through some baby clothes someone had donated for the needy, I just prayed, "Lord, you said you give us the desires of our heart...so if you put the desire for a baby in my heart, then please give me the baby, or take away the desire!  I don't want anything that isn't in Your will!
Not 5 minutes later, Don walked in the room and asked, "Do you still want another baby?  Because I have been thinking.  The kids are going to be leaving one right after the other, and we are still young.  So, I think, if you are good with it, I will get a reversal!" 
I nearly fell over!  God was just waiting for ME to surrender MY will so HE could show me HIS will.
I will tell you the rest of the story...later... blessing to all!

8 comments:

  1. Dear Joy--Your story is very similiar to mine. My 2nd pregnancy ended in a stillbirth. We had 2 more children & then I opted for tubal ligation. Three children in 4 years was enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes...3 in 4 years is quite a bit, but I am glad the first 3 were close together! wish I hadn't lost the baby after Kelsey, so she would have had a playtmate, too!

      Delete
  2. Dear Joy, . . . your prayer was one of letting go and go much was given in return. Peace to you and blessings on your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Dee. I had to surrender my will to His will! Blessings to you as well!

      Delete
  3. I was an only boy and naturally wanted a son to carry on the Langley name but try as we could my wife had (4) girls. One only lived 5 days back in 1971. After our baby was born she had to have a hystorectomy so no sons were meant for me. Now my baby girl has 2 sons. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odie, my hubby was from a family of 3 boys, I was from a family of 2 girls...we compromised with 2 and 2! My parents had a lot of getting used to with our boys! Now, all the grands, but my oldest son, have boys...so they have lots of great-grandsons!

      Delete
  4. Just reading the comment Odie left and your response. Boys are great! My boys drive me nuts sometimes but i love them dearly. Now my daughter is a great joy and help to me also. I wouldn't trade any of them for the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor would I! Every one of you is a special blessing, and I thank the Lord for you all!

      Delete