Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Other Mother

I have mentioned that my husband is an Alabama boy (well, I guess at 63 he no longer qualifies as a boy) and he comes from a long line of Alabamians.  My mother-in-love is my other mother.  Not too many people are blessed to have not only a great mother, but a great mother-in-law as well.  If you read "A Fish Story", you have already made acquaintance with her!

My m-i-l is Miss Flossie to many people, Florence to others, mom to Don and me, and mamaw to all her grands and great grands.

Miss Flossie is the epitomy of the southern lady, with her gentle, drawling voice, her mannerisms, as well as her kindness to all and sundry.  She has been a joy to me since the day I met her a few weeks before Don and I married.
 
So many times mothers-in-law are pictured as bossy, imposing women who are bent on interfering in their children's marriages.  That has never been the case with Mom!  She has always had our back when things were tough, but she doesn't poke her nose into our affairs. Because she knew we had given our lives to be missionaries, she has been especially thoughtful towards us.

When we started out, and unfulfilled promises found us in a leaky, toiletless, furnitureless/applianceless house, Mom packed up a U-Haul of stuff and sent it up with Don's dad.

When we moved back to Alabama to help Don's older brother get a church started, she again got together a trailer of used furniture and things for us.  She would drive up every so often with her car packed with groceries and clothes, and when it was time for #2 baby, she loaned us the money to get me admitted to the hospital.

Even though she is getting older and in much more pain, she has always come to visit us, be it here in France or wherever we might be staying for any length of time when we are stateside. 

She is a role model in almost every way.  I don't think I have ever met anyone that really didn't like her right off the bat! 

I just want to say thank you, Mom, for being the world's greatest mom-in-law!  Also, I want to say thank you, Lord, for giving me my 2 moms!

To all mom's out there in blogland...Happy Mother's Day!  May it be a special, blessed day for each of you!

11 comments:

  1. We are blessed to have Linda's mom living just behind us and we take care of each other all the time. She knows she can count on us and we count on her. Thanks for sharing yours with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odie, it is great you are there for her! We are across the ocean, and it is hard knowing we aren't able to be there for our much loved parents! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I, too, was blessed with wonderful in-laws. I hope our children's spouses feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, you sound like a pretty great person yourself! I know your in'law kids MUST love you!

      Delete
  3. Dear Joy, . . . I truly never thought about mother-in-laws being mothers to their daughter-in-laws. I've never married and so the thought just never occurred. Thanks for opening my mind to this.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Dee, it isn't always the case. I know within my own family that some people aren't as blessed as I am, which makes it hard, because you hate to see those you love having struggles with in-laws, etc. But I have been truly blessed! Don and I both get along with each others families! It is a joy!

      Delete
  4. How sweet!! Yes, this blog is of the person that I've known for 52 years!! She has been my friend through some good times and some bad times in both of our lives. She thinks of others before herself and is such a giving person. She loves the Lord with all of her heart and can be found at her church each Sunday shaking hands with people and making them welcome. I can readily see how she became your second Mom....I'm always so happy when she can make the trip to France to see you. She loves her children and would do anything for them....so much more I could say... She is truly a Proverbs 31 woman!!..........Patsy Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet tribute to your MIL! I'll bet she feels as blessed to have you as a DIL as you feel having her as your MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mamaw is amazing and I love her a lot! This was no exaggeration! She truly is just as you described her!

    ReplyDelete