Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Best Hamburgers Ever!

I told you about the first adventure with champagne, so thought I should give you the funniest!  It was our son's 5th birthday, and we were celebrating it with a barbecue.  There was a new couple on the field whose son shared the same birthday, and they wanted to come and celebrate the boys birthdays together.  We had another young couple working with us that were like family to us, and they were there as well.

Now remember, I told you we were totally ignorant about alcholic drinks, so after I nearly broke my thumb when the cork came out, I figured it out that that cork was not going back in that small bottle opening!  So, I stored the rest of that champagne in a clean glass jar.
When I bbq'ed, I would pour some in a bowl and sprinkle it on the coals and brush it on the meat.

This particular day, our friend, Donna, was standing outside in the driveway with me helping me cook.    Donna, Dale, Don and myself had had some laughs becuase the new missionaries were New Englanders.  They had very broad New England brogues...you know...they pahked thehre cah!  All the rest of us were deep south Southerners!  Get the picture?  Anyway, their brogue was cute to us and fun to listen to, most of the time.

While I was industriously brushing on the champagne, out pops the new missionary wife.  She was kind of "blond"!  She sees me brushing the burgers and she squeals out, in her best New England accent, "Wahter!  Yohr puttin' wahter on yohr heamburgers?  I neavah sawr anyone put wahter on thehre heamburgers befohr!"

Dale was in the kitchen at the open window.  He had just taken a big swallow of water when she said that!  He choked on the water so bad that Donna went tearing in to help him.  Don had just walked out in time to hear the question.  He looked at me, I looked at him.  We didn't really know these missionaries...we didn't have a clue if they would be upset over the champagne marinade!  I read in Don's eyes the same thing that was going through my mind!  So we thought it wiser to just not say anything.

Dale was finally over his choking spell, the burgers were done, and we sat down to eat.  As soon as the blessing was over, the wife takes a big bite of her burger.  She swallows, turns to her hubby and says, "That's the best heamburger I evahr ate!  And she made it with wahter!"  Thankfully, none of us 4 had water, tea or or coke in our mouths at that moment, though Dale was on the verge of it.  His glass went down on the table, hard and fast!  I always wondered if the new couple wondered why all 4 of us scattered rapidly to take care of the kids! 
So, that's the story!  And if you want the best burger ever, don't forget the...water!

PS.  Actually, I use an herb mixture that I pour on the coals and as they burn, the smoke is seasoned, and that is the real secret!
















7 comments:

  1. That is one of the funniest stories I've ever read. Maybe it's been long enough that you could share it with them now. Or, "NOT".
    Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odie , haven't seen or heard of them for years! They are back in the States! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. FUNNY STORY!! I don't know if you read this (I recently put it on Elisa'a blog) but here's a story of when several of us ACTUALLY spit out our drinks:

    We went to an upscale Beverly Hills restaurant to celebrate my son-in-law’s birthday. An older gentleman (maybe 80-85) was having dinner with his wife. He was wearing a visor & his thick salt & pepper hair, about 2” long, was sticking up behind the visor. There was a party of 12 at the table next to him. The people at the 2 tables were apparently chatting back & forth, because at one point the older man smiled at them, rose & tipped his visor to one of the ladies in a gentlemanly manner. I couldn’t believe what I saw. The hair, which was not his, but a part of the visor, came off! It was part of a baseball cap, with the hair sewn on top so it would look realistic. He then put it back on his shiny bald head. With his hair intact, he sat down & resumed eating. It’s a good thing I was drinking club soda & not red wine. Everyone within spitting distance would have been wearing merlot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, . . . and thank you so much for making me laugh out loud today! If I weren't a vegetarian, I'd try the water (ho! ho!) treatment for hamburgers. But I bet that your final statement was try. It's the herb smoking that makes your hamburgers special!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya...I still do that after all these years! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Mom this story always cracks me up! You have to write the one about the sardines in the diaper bag! That will def crack these people up!

    ReplyDelete