Monday, April 30, 2012

Who’s a Klutz?




So, people have asked me when I realized I was such a klutz.  It always makes me laugh now, but at first, I had to stop and think.  The conclusion I came to was that I believe I was born this way.  My dearly beloved, my Prince Charming, of over forty years, has always said he thinks I am just clumsy because my vision isn't all that great.  I used to heartily agree with him, because, after all!  That is really a great excuse!  In my heart of hearts, I know the truth.
It started at birth.  I have always believed that I was so homely that Dr. Gamse, in confusion, smacked the wrong end. Dr. Gamse would play an important role in my life until I was eleven, when we left Miami.  I think he was probably not sad to see the last of me, which really!  I mean...he DID earn a whole lot of money off of me, so he should have been heartbroken to see us go! 

The honest truth is just this...my first memory is of an accident.  My family (my mother’s side) was having a family get together in our first little house, and my cousins, my sister and I were in our bedroom.  My oldest cousin, Dooley, decided it would be great fun to bounce on the beds.  This was a strictly forbidden action in our home, but the utter delight of doing the forbidden struck us as a really great idea.  After all, it wasn't our idea!  If there was any trouble to be had, Dooley would be the one to go down for it!  There was just one itsy bitsy little problem.  That would be...ME!  I was itsy bitsy, Dooley was a good bit bigger and he bounced me really hard.  I flew up and I flew down... right slam bang into a brick window sill.  It put a nice size hole in my head at the hairline.  So, it was off to the doctor to get my head sewed up.  Those were my very first stitches (heavy sigh right here), but certainly not the last.  Honestly, if my mama had been a baby book type person, like I was, all the "firsts" would probably have come across looking like child abuse...I being the abused child, abused by mine own true self!

4 comments:

  1. Your memories are of accidents and mine are of needles. Back then Dr. Livermon made house calls and I had asthma bad until I was about 11. He was forever coming to the house to give me shot. In one of my blogs I told of how I took one of dad's shotgun shells to the woods, put it in the fork of a tree and put my air rifle at the business end and shot it. Yes it exploded, nearly deafened me and a shot hit my upper left arm but no permanent damage. Learned a great lesson that day.
    Hope you two have an awesome week.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odie I remember you writing that! It was such a typical boy thing to do!
    Mom no worries I think it's genetic. So you can blame your parents and I'll blame mine. Oops wasn't supposed to say that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I bet that hurt! I'm clumsy too and since my middle name in Grayce, my hubby gets a kick out of saying it when I bump into whichever thing I'm bumping into at the moment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a klutz. I am also very well mannered. Both have become reflex actions, over which I have no control. I remember, as an adult, bumping into a table at my house & saying, "Excuse me." Have you done that?

    ReplyDelete