Wednesday, April 25, 2012

And I THOUGHT...

 And I THOUGHT...
When we got off the plane in France, we truly thought things were as modern as they were in America.  We never realized that it was still recovering from WW2. 
We landed at CDG airport and it was really modern looking, so when we pulled out of the parking and got on the roads, it was like....yikes....help!  First thing, we passed a Citroën plant and there were all these ugly little vehicles sitting there.  We learned they were called 2 cheavaux (2 horses), I guess in reference to their power abilities.  They looked like odd shaped tin cans. 
Next shock was the traffic.  During rush hour (which really is an oxymoron) it can take up to an hour to go one block, but on the autoroutes, at that time, there were no speed limits and they dodged in and out of traffic like they were a hockey team in vehicles chasing the puck!  I think I aged 10 years just getting to the house that morning.  In those days, car seats were rare, so, in the back seat,  I hung onto my babies for dear life, while there father nonchalantly chatted with Paul up front!  I did a lot of praying in the hour or so it took us to get where we were going.
We finally arrived at the house! It was very tall and narrow and behind a rock and iron barred fence that was at least 7 ft. tall.  All the others were fenced in similar manner.  It sat in a slot on a rounded intersection which had five busy roads dumping into and speeding out of it.  Just crossing the road (any of the 5) was a major feat. In Europe, you had alternate parking.  One week everyone parked one one side of the street, the next, on the other side of the street.  When it was our side, it was okay...but, when it wasn't...well, it was pray, look both ways and run
One day, I went out ahead with the 2 little ones and my soon to be delivered baby!  Melynda was missing her cousin, Melody, who was Stateside.  She had been given one of those realistic, life size dolls and in lieu of her cousin, that doll went everywhere with us.  This particular day, I carried the doll, dressed in real baby clothes, and Cris was holding my hand and Lyndee' was holding his.  We heard a sudden screech of brakes and saw a car, front end to a utility pole, with a distressed, obviously swearing man behind the wheel!  Don, 2 steps behind us, had seen what happened.  The man was staring gape-jawed at the kids and me.  He evidently took the doll in my arms for a real baby, and it was obvious I was about to explode with another one!  He was so busy staring, he went over the sidewalk and nearly smashed the pole.  You see, in those days, the average French family had 1.3 kids, and they married much later.  I was 24 and looked much younger.  SHOCK!  hahaha!  From then on, we always went out together, Don held one childs' hand and I held the other, and Lyndee carried her doll!
Tomorrow, I will tell you the fun stuff about that crazy house!

6 comments:

  1. So far, your blog is great-- i love the way you tell a story! You're getting it down to a manageable length, especially if you're going to post everyday. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not so sure about the everyday, Fran. My sweetie is in the states right now, so, I fill time! Though it is fun getting to know all ya'll!

      Delete
  2. You certainly are a fantastic story teller and I am really enjoying the journey and learning a lot at the same time. Can't wait for the next episode. Have a wonderful rest of your day.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom you are doing great! This one was really funny. I enjoyed it a lot. I set Shannon up on a blog yesterday. i don't know if he has posted or not. He is writing a short story for me right now! Yeah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyndee...you still have that doll, don't you? It was the one Mark always said was scary! Poor April! He hair stood straight up because you always carried her by the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do tell a great story! And they will be so priceless for your grandchildren one day!

    ReplyDelete