Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Beginning


So, my daughter Lyndee, (Melynda Fleury to a great many, but still Lyndee to me!) set this up and we shall see what we shall see.  I guess the first "walk" should be HER story, right?  Since she was so sweet to do this for me….

 When we found out Lyndee was on the way, we were in the last semester of our college years.  We were overjoyed and not worried...Don worked a union job, so we had insurance.  About a week after we found out we were expecting, Don was put on a lay-off.  Technically, they had worked themselves out of a job!  Work hard, work good...no more job...sounds right???  NOPE!  But hey, we were young and trusting in God's provision and His perfect will.  Then the car broke down!  Still trusting...and walking...lots and lots of walking.  Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I walked approximately 6 miles going back and forth between campus locations (one was right across from our apartment and the other was a mile away).

 We counted that as GOOD exercise because, hey!  They tell you walking a lot makes for an easy delivery!  We also found out that our insurance would no longer pay, even though, technically Don was still an employee.  Plus, he still had to call in every day and see if there was work that day. 

 We had to wait 3 weeks before we could apply for unemployment.  Meantime, we had NO income, and a bunch of school bills, doctor bills and a baby on the way.  Don tried to get another job, but due to the fact we would be leaving in May, another job was not forthcoming. 

At last, when we had exactly one dime left to our name, I watched with tears in my eyes as Don inserted it into the pay phone to find out if there was work that day.  I saw Don's face drop and new before he told me, that the answer was, "No."  Don and I started our walk home.  We knew that there was absolutely nothing at home to eat.  I cried most of the way home and railed out my grief to God, asking Him why He was allowing this.  We had always been faithful to Him; we were preparing to be missionaries...so what had we done to deserve such a fate?

 We got home, sat down at the foodless table and held hands and prayed.  I will not say I felt better when we finished.  I was still not a happy camper!  I went out the door and went to the mailbox hoping there would be a letter from home (yup...snail mail was all that existed in those days!) to cheer me up.  Oddly, my 85 year old grampa had decide we needed our graduation present 2 1/2 months early!  I was so excited!  I ran back to the apartment and waved the check at my beloved!  Wow!  Didn't expect THAT to happen!  We tithed, gave our missions, paid the rest of the rent, and bought a couple of dollars worth of food. 

 A week later, we were back in the same position.  This time, I was walking as fast as my legs would carry me, and I didn't stop at the apartment.  I went straight to the mailbox…and there was another letter from a lady in my Dad's church who said God had laid it on her heart to send us some money.  Here's the thing...no one knew what we were going through except the Lord.  Now,  in the words of Paul Harvey, "for the rest of the story!"

 We sat down, once again, to our foodless table, to pray and thank the Lord for His provision.  As we finished praying, I looked up and saw a station wagon pulling up.  It was Don's preacher's wife from Alabama.  Don's folks ran a Rescue Mission and they had filled the entire back end of that large station wagon with food!  We were astonished!  A few days later, we were alloted $12.00 a week of food stamps for a month.  Then Don's unemployment kicked in, and God allowed us to get the apartment upstairs that was a lot cheaper.  We shared the food wealth with friends who were in as desperate a situation as us, and we finished our college years after all.

 We then moved to Oklahoma to do our internship in a church.  We were promised a furnished house and $50.00 a week, which, even then, was not much.  But, we had learned FAITH by then and so we started out on the journey.  Unfortunately, the house wasn't furnished, and the roof leaked abominably.  They did go buy us an old used mattress and boxspring.  We kept our cold food in the refrigerator at the church.  Then, there was the toilet that overflowed every time it was flushed, so the preacher asked us not to use it.  I would get up 3 or 4 times a night, and creep out, scared silly, and unlock that big empty church building to go to the bathroom.    The worst was that the house was aluminum sided, but wasn't air conditioned.  If you have ever been to Oklahoma in the summer, you can imagine what that was like!  It was, on a typical day, 113° F in the house!

 Having no insurance, we went to a public health clinic for the final months of my pregnancy.  Now, I was only 20 and looked younger.  Don was 23, but he, too, looked younger, so we often got looked at like we were 2 kids who’d gotten “in trouble” as the expression went in those days.  I was normally a thin person, but was very, very big pregnant!  So big people stopped and stared.  More than once they actually gawked.  One man insisted I must be having triplets.  Again, in those days, you didn't know ahead of time.  You waited until they were born to know!

 Lyndee was due a few days before our first anniversary, which was 14 August.  Don had to go down to Alabama for his brother's wedding the week before my due date.  We were worried.  Since mid-July the doctors at the clinic were telling us the baby could come any day...it was down, pushing and I was already some dialated.  So, with great trepidation, Don flew to Alabama.  He came home in a car his parents had sold us, which was a blessing.  A few days later, his dad showed up with a van load of furniture from the mission.  We were ecstatic!  And now we were ready for our baby. 

 We were going faithfully to the clinic every Tuesday, week after week, each time to be told that it would be any day.  We walked every evening when it cooled down and every Monday we went to the mall and walked until Don and I both thought our legs would be worn down to nubs.  Still no baby.  Finally, they did x-rays...something they now know should never be done.  They said the baby was past full term and should come any time.  Another week went by, and they did sonograms.  I was only the 2nd woman in Oklahoma to ever be sonogrammed back then.  They said the baby's fontenelle was closing, so they must induce...in one more week...if I hadn't come in by then.  This was now the 5th of September. 

 I was upset all the way home.  As we came up on the grocery store, I told Don to go in and get me a bottle of castor oil.  All the older ladies of the church had been telling me to do that.  He slipped into and out of that store in high gear, because we didn't want anyone to know we had resorted to the dreaded castor oil. 

 Here is where the story gets crazy.  The old ladies told me to take the stuff, but they didn't say how much to take.  Understand...I was alone, far from my mama, far from my mother-in-law, and in those days, long distance calls were outrageously expensive.  So...I drank the whole bottle.  Believe me...it was one of the hardest things I have ever done.  I kept gagging, and Don would say, "Stop!  You're gonna make me puke!"  And I kept thinking, "AND???"  Because I was the one gagging the stuff down!

Won't go into details, but it worked!  We hauled off to the hospital about 3 AM, Don driving like Mario Andretti!  That was on Wednesday.  We watched the sunrise, in between the less than minute apart contractions.  Because it was a public health clinic, they didn't do epidurals...only saddle blocks, and those, just as the baby was coming.  So all that day and all that night, the contractions went on and on and still no baby.  Finally, on Thursday, after 35 hours of contractions, Melynda Dawne Williams made her late, but very wonderful appearance.  She has been a joy to us always, andwe thank the Lord to have her as our daughter.  For Melynda followers and friends…I will get back to her again…this time with the FUN stuff!

Love to all and remember…God loves you soooooo much!

18 comments:

  1. I would have been glad I was born too after that long a wait! lol
    Glad this worked. sorry about the picture i'll figure it out though or maybe kelsey can. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello over there in Paris. . . . I am glad to meet the mother of Lyndee and to discover that she must have inherited from you her ability to tell stories. Your story had me following along, wanting to know what happened next. The sign of a real story-teller.

    Your trust in God is inspiring. I hold fast to the Holy Oneness of All Creation and know that all of us are caught up in healing the world and one another. So I thank you for sharing this story of belief with me. I'll be following your blog because I so want to know more about you and your life and adventures.

    Peace from Dee, who met Melynda on her blog last August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Melynda's mom! I've never met your daughter in person, but I feel we've become very good friends through her blog. I love her dearly!

    She apparently inherited her writing ability from you. As soon as I click "publish"--publier--I'm going to click "follow".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for reading this and commenting...I am not as good at this as Lyndee!

      Delete
  4. What a great story!! I "met" Melynda a little bit ago reading her blog! She's a great writer and so are you! I loved reading your birth story! I gave birth to my oldest almost 42 years ago and there were no sonograms and after he was born I had to have some kidney tests done and had to drink a whole bottle of castor oil! So I feel your pain.....that was such awful stuff to drink, not to mention the follow up! I'm so glad all went well and your Melynda was born o.k.

    Wonderful to hear a story of such strong faith! I look forward to reading all your stories!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah! the many useful purposes for something that comes from a deadly bean!
      God has been very good to us, Nancy, throughout our lives! Hard times come and go, but He has held us up through everything! Thanks for reading and responding!

      Delete
  5. Bon Jour,
    It is indeed an honor to be able to read this remarkable story and to be writing to Melynda's mom. Your daughter is loved around the world and I am anxious every day to see another post from her to make my day.
    My name is Odie Langley and I live in NC, am 65 and just recently retired. My wife Linda still works. I spent most of my life as a service manager in an office machine dealership.
    As I was reading your story I knew God would provide, because He always does. He sure has been good to Linda and I. I have 3 grown daughters and 3 grandchildren.
    Can't wait to read the "fun" part of the story. I really enjoyed the wonderful pictures on Melynda's blog of Don's visit and my favorite was the one with the two of them on that tree laying down.
    Hope you don't mind me following along. Take care and I will be checking on you later.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat story. It's so wonderful how God provides when we trust Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello There!

    Well, now I know where Melynda gets her positive attitude from! What a wonderful story. I must admit I was gagging myself, just thinking about you drinking that castor oil!

    I love following Melynda's blog, and I'm looking forward to following yours!

    Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to blogland! You started off with a great story. God is always faithful. Wow! An entire bottle of castor oil? Just the thought of that almost makes me gag! Melynda is a wonderful bloggy friend. I love reading her blogs, and now I can look forward to reading yours, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melynda was worth the castor oil! I gagged worse when she ate...well I won't tell that...she would KILL ME! hahaha! Thanks al for reading and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He thought HE would puke? Who drank the castor oil? That must have been nasty. It's nice to meet you at long last. I am Janie Junebug, and I LOVE Melynda.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, hallo there Melynda's mum. I've just popped across from her blog, and I hope you don't mind if I follow you from over here in England. Melynda has told us to be very polite to you, but then, we English are always polite!! I'm sure you must be very proud of your daughter, and, certainly, I am full of admiration for her, and she makes me laugh!! I love your writing style and really enjoyed reading your recollections today. Life was so different back then, wasn't it?! Look forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eeek! I can't find any button on your Blog to enable me to follow you. Have I missed it somewhere?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some of your experience reminds me of my husband and my last year here in Ireland. My husband was called to Ireland when he was 12 and we know that we will be here permanently for the most part. Our first year here ended up being nothing like we expected. We planned on being self-supported missionaries but when we got here, the only Visa they could give me didn't allow me to work at all, and my husband's only allowed him to work part time (but he's doing a PhD). There were many nights we were praying for something to eat for the day, and also for our rent to get paid. It took 7 months for my husband to get a part time job, which barely paid any of our rent, but God got us through by support from friends in family. it was amazing and humbling. My husband used to say that if we would have known all the issues ahead of time then we wouldn't have probably come...until I told him that God knew that so he must have spiritually blinded us because he knew we needed to be here anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Between chuckling, empathizing, and getting teary eyed, I must say I totally loved your post.

    I've been following Melynda for quite some time, and love her dearly. Will be checking in on you, now!

    ReplyDelete