Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Happy Birthday Lynn!

Tomorrow is my sister, Lynn's, birthday.  Lynn is 2 1/2 years older than me, and though she is a lot shorter, she is still my big sister! That is her on the left at the age of 4.  Lynn and I didn't always get along when we were kids, as is par for the course for most siblings.  We could fight like cats and dogs between ourselves(verbally) but let anyone else say or do anything to the other and they had to deal with the consequences!  Then we were a team!  

I must say, that as a kid, I gave my big sis a lot of grief at times.  She tended to be bossy, and that would get my goat so I would have to get even!  Often, when we were doing the dishes (nope... dishwashers
were not common household appliances back then!) I would slowly sideways walk my foot over and stomp on hers, because she had pushed my buttons one time too many.  Sometimes I got away with it, but most times not!  I thought it was worth whatever punishment I got, just to get even!

As I grew older, my vengeance got "better".  One night, I hid in her closet until everyone was in bed.  When all was quiet, I opened the closet door and came out at her.  Now, Lynn and I are both very nearsighted.  Without her glasses, all she could see was the door movement and someone coming at her.  She sat up and tried to scream, but was so scared just a horrible squeak came out.  Of course my parents, who were just next door to her room heard the commotion and of course, I caught it, but good!  I hadn't really intended to scare her that bad, really, and I did feel bad about it after.  Didn't even mind the punishment, because I knew I deserved it.  In spite of everything, we grew up, and as we grew, we became best friends.  We have lived far from each other for almost 37 years, but in our hearts we remain close. 
She also taught school for over 35 years.  She had to deal with my kids on the occasions when they were in the States.  She was a very dedicated teacher and was constantly helping kids out.  One day, she got stuck dealing with things on the other side of the learning center.  The older kids were all needing her, too.  Our son, Cris, told the kids he would get her over there and proceeded to let out a war whoop and leap out of his chair, on which he had placed a tack (after he was out of it)!  She did come over very quickly, and Cris grinned and said, "See!  I told you I could get her over here!"  With all the sterness she could muster, she sent him to the principal's office!  We had a laugh over it later, and still do when we remember those long ago days!

Lynn is such an incredible person!  Several years ago, she was diagnosed with a very rare illness called Inclusion Body Myositis.  It is an illness that destroys the muscles of the body.  Lynn is so tiny and so frail now, and she has dreadful falls that seriously hurt her, but she remains cheerful in the face of all she goes through.  She can not easily get up and down  from chairs unaided, but that doesn't stop her.  Her husband is the pastor of a small church and she still faithfully does everything pastors' wives need to do.  She still plays the piano for church and works with the children and the choir.  She just doesn't give up! 

Several years ago, she and her hubby came over and helped us build a building for our church!  Two of our grands were living with us at the time and we were in this tiny, 3 room apartment.  We were squished as all get out, but we had such a great time!  My grands loved her dearly!  She is just that way...you HAVE to love her!
As you can see, Lynn is one of my role models!  She is the dearest sister in all the world and I miss her every day!   So...here's to you, Lynn!  Happy happy birthday!  I love you!

9 comments:

  1. Lyndee has written about her Aunt Lynn & how much she loves her--I can see why!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LYNN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is very special...I wish I was half as great as her, but hey! She's the best ever! Thanks, Fran!

      Delete
  2. Dear Joy, please pass my "Happy Birthday" on to your sister, Lynn!
    The two of you are quite a pair.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee! I hope her girls will show her this...then she will see your birthday wishes herself! And, ya...we can really get in trouble when we are together!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful post ;). I love the picture of you two. I hope she's having an amazing birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were a pair for sure! Her birthday is actually tomorrow, but I figured she would probably be celebrating and wouldn't see it, so posted it today! Praying for your lil gal Elisa! It is so frustrating when you get no answers from the people who are SUPPOSED to know!

      Delete
  4. Just reading this post makes me want to love her and give her a hug. Please let her know Odie in NC said Happy Birthday as well. I have 2 sisters a little younger than I am. We try to see each other as often as we can. Great post today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope she has a wonderful day! What a great tribute to her and I have two sisters that I feel the same about. We fought like crazy growing up but now we are each other's best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again I missed this one. Happy Birthday Aunt Lynn! Hope it was the best ever. As for Cris screaming I was present for that one and it was not a war whoop. It was a horror movie girl scream. We often joke that he could have done a better job at screaming in those Indiana Jones movies than the women did lol.. Love you. Hope your eye is doing ok.

    ReplyDelete