Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Happy Ending

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story of the prodigal son.  There are so many lessons to be learned through this story.  In my mind's eye, I can picture the whole thing...here stands a loving dad...he has loved and given to his 2 sons all their lives.  He has sacrificed for them and been their rock in every situation. 
One son seems to be co-operative, steadfast, hardworking.  The other...well, he is a self-centered, selfish young jerk.  I know, I know...harsh words!  I stand by it!  Look at him!  He struts up to his father and boldly tells him he doesn't want to wait until his dad is dead for his inheritance...nope, nope nope...nothing nice in that!  It's just gimme, gimme and gone!  He hasn't taken one second to even think about how his dad feels, if this is going to hurt him or cause him financial hardship.  He didn't even technically have the right to make such a demand, but he did...then he coolly walked away without a backward glance.
That selfish kid took off for parts unknown, blew all the money partying like a rich boy until it was all gone and he found himself in a pigpen feeding pigs, wishing he could eat some of their slop.  He was pretty hungry, and pretty desperate.  He looks at himself, ragged, filthy, starving, friendless, broke...and he says to himself, "Even the servants in my father's house are better off than me.  I'm going home and ask for a job!"
There are several things that always strike me in this story.  The young man knew he could go back home.  He knew he was truly loved, and he knew he was unworthy of the deep love his father had always shown him.  He went for home, no longer haughty, but broken and willing to be just a humble servant. 
Then I think about the dad.  He must  have asked himself WHY...why did his beloved son leave?  Why could he not see the love that had always been lavished on him.  He didn't know why, but he knew he loved his son, so there he was!  I can see him going out every day to the road, hand shielding his eyes, looking down that long, dusty road...praying to God for his son to appear in the distance.  How he must have loved that wayward child to go on, day after day, waiting and praying!
I love to picture his face when he first sees the little puffs of dust and something bobbing along the road.  I can see his faltering steps forward, and then he breaks into a run...I feel his rapidly beating heart fill with joy as he sees it is finally the one he's been waiting for so long!  He throws his arms around that stinky, sweaty, ragged young man and lets him know he is loved and accepted...just as he is.  A servant?  No!  A ring, clean clothes, shoes on his feet and a welcome home party.
Happy ending!
But, what if...what if the prodigal had waited too long and his dad was gone forever?  I don't think his brother would have killed the fatted calf for him! 
What if...he was too proud or too stupid to come to his senses?  He would have died among the pigs, probably.
I am glad the story is as it is, because it is the perfect example of God's great love for us!  We arrogantly hurt him and walk away...live it up, forgetting about Him and all He's done for us...but He is still there, always there...waiting patiently for us to realize just that.  His arms are outstretched, just as wide as those of Jesus, when He died on the cross for us.  He wants to hold us close, clean us up and wants to let us renew our place in His household of faith!  That's love!  Real love!  Not the Hollywood kind, or the romance novel kind, but the truest of true love.  I'm so glad He ran to me! 
The last thing I always think about in this story is this...the prodigal had to run back to his father, or there wouldn't have been a happy ending.  I am adding a song that I love and illustrates this story!  http://youtu.be/MCVvSArfVw0
Moral of the story?  If you need to run home...run!  If you have someone who's walked away...be there waiting, arms open wide to welcome them home!
                                        Blessings to all!

4 comments:

  1. This brought a lump in my chest and in my throat. My prodigal son is far away and most of the time that is honestly a relief to me. Because he's a drug addict and has been for so long, I sometimes begin to lose hope that God will bring him home, but this story always reminds me that He is watching over him and working in ways I cannot see. I also know that I may not live to see him come back to his real home with the Lord! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joy, thanks for this reminder to keep our hearts open to all. Of course, the title of the story could also be "The Prodigal Father." Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this Joy. It really touched me deeply and more so than any presentation of this story has in the past. I will gladly share it with others.
    Have an awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said as only you can mother. I love you, and miss you bunches. Will try to call soon.

    ReplyDelete